Tofurkey and Traditions!

11/27/13

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I wanted to share a few things I am thankful for.  I don't think I could ever list everything though! (I have a portion of the list in a journal already... typical).  I hadn't really thought about just how blessed I am until I started to make that list.  And yes, it totally changed my perspective on many things in life.  And yes, some of the things are random or weird, but hey, I like cemeteries, okay?

Besides the food, I love spending time with my family on Thanksgiving.  We do all the traditional yummies at our house, turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, roles, mashed potatoes, etc.  I am so thankful for the laughs, tears, and memories that we have made (and will make) around the table during this time.  I'm going to always try to celebrate Thanksgiving, even when I live in another country.

I can't wait to start making traditions with my own family someday.  When I was younger, we would always go to the "rocks" (Belle Isle in RVA) and explore after we stuffed ourselves.  I loved being outside, exploring, and just talking about the things we were thankful for.  I hope to carry this tradition on somehow when I have a family of my own, because I think it's important to take time to really think about what you are thankful, because we have been blessed with much.  It will be fun to see what traditions arise in a family of my own one day.  What are some of your all favorite traditions around Thanksgiving time?

Sweet potatoes will be my main dish since this is my first Thanksgiving as a vegetarian.

I've also been looking for health/food blogs lately, so let me know of any that you all enjoy.  Have the best of Thanksgivings, friends! 

3 comments:

  1. I am excited to start my own traditions for the holidays when I have a family as well. Your family tradition of spending time outside after the food sounds like a lot of fun. :) We usually put up our Christmas decorations that night, which I always look forward to.

    Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving, Jessi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love putting up the Christmas things! We usually do that on Black Friday after we did all the shopping :)

      You have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Starting my own traditions is something I am so excited for. Even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia, I always try and make time to spend a day being grateful for what I have. It's so important to appreciate what we are blessed with in life.

    Happy [belated] Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete