Monday was my birthday, and as you can probably guess by the title of this post, I turned 21. The past year has been crazy full of unexpected, exciting, and scary things. Even though this year has proved to stretch me in countless ways, I am so thankful for every part of it. So here is a list of 21 things that this 21 year old has learned (or re-learned) in the last year.
1. You don't have to talk to someone everyday, every week, or every month for that matter to be best friends.
2. My stomach hates meat.
3. I am free to be whoever I want to be, and I don't have to change who I am for anybody.
4. Whether it be across the world or across town, travel is good for the soul.
5. I leave on chipped nail polish for way too long.
6. Virginia is really pretty and fun.
7. My mom is usually always right. Also, I am my mother, except for I'm usually always wrong.
8. I will never be able to control my hair no matter what I do to it.
9. I eat too many donuts.
10. Moments of either laughter or silence with friends are the best moments.
11. My brudder is the coolest of all brothers and will forever be one of my best friends.
12. The smell and feel of the pages of a book beat swiping a screen anyday.
13. Don't have high expectations, because you will be disappointed when they are not met. Brought to you by lessons from Waffle House.
14. Sometimes you need that second cup of coffee.
15. There are more people who love and care for me then I realize or feel.
16. Learning to apologize and admit you're wrong feels much better then being stubborn and prideful.
17. If you don't shed blood while hiking, then it didn't count for anything.
18. Learning to apply Truth and promises to the moment is a lot harder then applying them to the future.
19. The World is smaller then it seems.
20. What makes a great adventure great is the company.
21. Attitude and perspective change EVERYTHING.
This next year will surely be even more challenging, but I can't wait to see what the unknown future of it holds.