She Did All She Could

11/21/12

"She has done what she could..."  Mark 14:8

She is someone that I want to be like.  

She knew Jesus.  When Jesus was in Bethany, as he sat at the table in the home of his friend, she came in.  She had an alabaster jar in her hands of expensive perfume.  She broke the jar and poured the perfume onto Jesus' head.

People started whispering and rebuking her, stating that the perfume could have been sold for a year's wages.  

They judged her.  They rebuked her.  The looked down on her.  Harshly.

But Jesus told them, "Leave her alone."  

He defended her.  

He said, "She has done a beautiful thing to me."

"The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them anytime you want. But you will not always have me."

"She did all she could..."

He explained how she was preparing him for his burial, which is something that only he knew would occur.  He said that her story would be told around the world.  

She was a woman who knew Jesus and I want to be like her.  

She understood something that no one else in the room did.  What she did was sacred and precious.  Jesus knew that, but the rest of the people didn't "get it."  She didn't care, because that was her act of worship.

I love her faith and bravery.  She didn't care what anybody else though, just Jesus.

We don't know much else about her.  We don't know where she got that expensive perfume, but we do know that she had something precious and valuable.  The perfume was worth very much to her as well as the onlookers.

I love this story because I can relate to it.  I don't own expensive perfume (unless you count the Vera Wang perfume I got as a Christmas present several years ago).  Myself, as well as other young Christian women can relate because our hearts and lives are worth so much.  And we alone decide how we are going to live our lives and who we are going to give our heart to.  

Like the woman in this story, I chose to give my life, my heart, my future, my love, my time, and my worship to Him no matter what the cost.  It is costly, but it is worth it.  I am pouring it out on His head in worship, like costly perfume.  I am giving Him my all because it belongs to Him anyway.

I choose to give him the rest of this semester, next year, and every year to come that will follow.  I choose to pour it out on Him in reckless and passionate worship like this woman who poured it all out despite what others thought.  All she saw was Him.

What are you doing with your costly perfume?  With your life?  With your heart?  

My prayer is that my life will be full of this reckless and passionate abandon, pouring out every last drop of my perfume as I worship Him.  And someday He may say of me, "She did all she could."

No comments:

Post a Comment